Thursday, November 19, 2009

Chinese Film in Off Hours

The Horse Thief 盗马贼

It's finally hit me that another way I could increase my familiarity with modern Chinese film and literature is to watch older films online. Many of these films are too slow, some how too involved in the business of drawing Chinese characters for Chinese tastes, to draw Adam in.


This film The Horse Thief, for example, I just learned about in a Danwei.org post on its director, Tian Zhuangzhuang 田壯壯. Tian is interesting for being a successful "Fifth Generation" director who has returned to the screen since being banned.

Another film that I'm watching at the same time is Er mo (links to 56.com), which was screened last night at the Bell Auditorium as part of the People's Republic of Cinema series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Terms and topics

About Me

My photo
We are all wanderers along the way.