Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Yang Jiang's "Fan base"



If an tree sings in a forest far away, does it make a sound? Or rather, does the sound matter at all?


In a conversation with A. about why I might have failed to get a Fulbright, A. directed me back to making a case for how the things I read and study have "clear and present relevance." Articulating that "why," "what's at sake" part of the question is maybe the hardest part of doing humanities. So I'll work on that.

I need to get back to grading assignments now, but I want to assign myself the task of brainstorming what I am talking about when I'm talking about a "fan base" for Yang Jiang 杨绛, the writer I've chosen to focus on.

Coming soon:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Terms and topics

About Me

My photo
We are all wanderers along the way.