Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Christmas: Thinking of the Future



Idols of Amlash: Video game gristle?


Late-afternoon ideas for making fame and fortune with the humanities:


1. Newer versions of the game Civilization should link up with books like Splendors of Ancient Persia using 3D scans of all these materials. They should be real documents of ancient civilizations, with real time scales. Game play will probably have to change significantly from Civ as it stands, but I really can't say for certain yet because I haven never played the game.

2. Why can't graduate students in literature support themselves by writing literature? We should really be crowd-sourced to either come up with good stories, or else find and translate stories by hot new Chinese writers. Since I had this idea earlier today, I feel like I should really start my own literary journal. Or other business that allows for consumption of literature.

I finished my grading today, though I haven't yet quite turned in the last few grades of people who didn't turn in all their work yet. After, I mainly caught up on internet reading, this time with perfect non-guilt that I was procrastinating anything. One issue likely to occupy my attention in the future: population growth. Should we worry about population growth, or worry more about population growth policies? As with so many important issues, China is a complex and intimidating factor to consider.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Terms and topics

About Me

My photo
We are all wanderers along the way.