Thursday, March 25, 2010

McKee Notes




The McKee story seminar seems to me at this moment to be more important to my future career than all my years of graduate school. Now perhaps that's an exaggeration, but truly, I don't feel that way. The clip above, for example, combines story structure ideas that I was taught in high school with the supplement that the writer can change story form with a plan in mind. I learned something a little like that in graduate school, but only in a flabby way that took too much time and too many words. This was 2 minutes of the seminar! And even more importantly, McKee asks us to think like writers. And that is more important than thinking like a scholar, at least to me, right now.

Thus the 68 pages of notes I took over the four days of the seminar will probably be one set of notes that I actually return to again and again.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Terms and topics

About Me

My photo
We are all wanderers along the way.