Sunday, January 10, 2010

Undertaking Research: The Class



The Craft of Research -- my first impression is that its somewhat useful to a teacher, but hardly worth throwing it at the students.


I translated over 6,000 words in the last couple of days, which leaves me feeling a bit proud. This is dampened, though, when I think how I wanted the work done during the week last week, and various errands, goofing off, and other stuff prevented it. No matter, now it's done. More on my translation work soon.

For now, it's on to finishing the syllabus for ALL 4900W, the major project seminar.


I'm trying to write this syllabus very, very carefully, using as my main guide the syllabus to the corresponding course taught in the GSD department. I'm also assigning the students the text How to Read a Book by Mortimer Jerome Adler, and I'll be giving The Craft of Research a thorough reading myself, though I will not assign this book.


My students will build their theses up in stages using assignments I will post to our Moodle site. I will be sure to record my progress in using moodle this term, as it will be the heaviest usage I've given so far.

Adler, Mortimer, and Van Doren, Charles. How to Read a Book. Revised and Updated Edition. New York: Touchstone, 1972.



Booth, Wayne C.; Colomb, Gregory G.; and Williams, Joseph M. The Craft of Research. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1995.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Terms and topics

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
We are all wanderers along the way.