Saturday, May 16, 2009

Redemption 救赎

From a 2007 exhibition of works by People's Academy of Art assistant director Xu Weixin 徐唯辛.

So much to say, I'm slightly overwhelmed.

For now, just note second from left, who I ("I" meaning Google, naturally) identified as Gu Zhun, a "post-Marxist" who spent his last years in prison arguing that Mao caused the great famines of the early 60s, and this demonstrated the need for political reform. He's a top example of what Dai Jinhua calls a "culture hero" 文化英雄 but I'll argue that this is very similar to the term more commonly used in English, "cultural icon."

The main force of the influence of these icons is, definitively, biographical.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Terms and topics

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
We are all wanderers along the way.